Subject: [PATCH 02/14] etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL: Describe the act of scrolling text more consistently

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 00:06:29 -0000

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 03:47:39 +0000

The action of "scrolling the text up and down" is commonly described
as "scrolling the screen (or window) down and up". In particular, note
the way in which the two descriptions use direction; scrolling may
be interpreted as either moving the text with respect to the user's
view, or moving the user's view with respect to the text.

This commit clarifies this discrepancy in terminology, and introduces
language that prefers EMACS's tradition of describing the scrolling
of text (rather than of screens/windows).
---
 etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL | 28 +++++++++++++++++++---------
 1 file changed, 19 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
index c68f239..e873023 100644
--- a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
+++ b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
@@ -208,22 +208,31 @@ those you have learned so far) use it as a flag--the presence of a
 prefix argument, regardless of its value, makes the command do
 something different.
 
-C-v and M-v are another kind of exception.  When given an argument,
-they scroll the screen up or down by that many lines, rather than by a
-screenful.  For example, C-u 8 C-v scrolls the screen by 8 lines.
+C-v and M-v are other exceptions.  When given an argument, each scrolls
+the text up or down, respectively, by that many lines, rather than by
+the usual screenful of text.  For example, C-u 8 C-v scrolls the text
+up by 8 lines.
 
 >> Try typing C-u 8 C-v now.
 
-This should have scrolled the screen up by 8 lines.  If you would like
-to scroll it down again, you can give an argument to M-v.
+This should have scrolled the text up by 8 lines.  If you would like
+to scroll the text down again, you can give an argument to M-v.
 
 If you are using a graphical display, such as X or MS-Windows, there
 should be a tall rectangular area called a scroll bar on one side of
 the Emacs window.  You can scroll the text by clicking the mouse in
-the scroll bar.
+the scroll bar; one often drags the scroll bar's handle, a rectangular
+region that is within the scroll bar and that is used to represent the
+portion of the text that is currently visible in the associated window.
 
 If your mouse has a wheel button, you can also use this to scroll.
 
+(Note that "scrolling the text up and down" is commonly described as
+"scrolling the screen (or window) down and up". In particular, note
+the way in which the two descriptions use direction; scrolling may
+be interpreted as either moving the text with respect to the user's
+view, or moving the user's view with respect to the text.)
+
 
 * IF EMACS STOPS RESPONDING
 ---------------------------
@@ -873,7 +882,7 @@ Emacs terms.)
    Both windows display this tutorial.  The editing cursor stays in
    the top window.
 
->> Type C-M-v to scroll the bottom window.
+>> Type C-M-v to scroll the text of the bottom window up.
    (If you do not have a real META key, type <ESC> C-v.)
 
 >> Type C-x o ("o" for "other") to move the cursor to the bottom window.
@@ -891,7 +900,8 @@ display, those cursors are drawn as unblinking hollow boxes.
 
 The command C-M-v is very useful when you are editing text in one
 window and using the other window just for reference.  Without leaving
-the selected window, you can scroll the other window with C-M-v.
+the selected window, you can use C-M-v to scroll the text of the other
+window up.
 
 C-M-v is an example of a CONTROL-META character.  If you have a META
 (or Alt) key, you can type C-M-v by holding down both CONTROL and META
@@ -1042,7 +1052,7 @@ This displays in another window a list of all M-x commands with "file"
 in their names.  You will see character-commands like C-x C-f listed
 beside the corresponding command names such as find-file.
 
->> Type C-M-v to scroll the help window.  Do this a few times.
+>> Type C-M-v to scroll the text of the help window up.  Do this a few times.
 
 >> Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
 
-- 
1.7.10.2.484.gcd07cc5