Subject: bug#11681: GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) Save bug

From: Olaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:40:01 +0200

Sorry four response email bounds - it's to avoid spam. I'm using the
news server.

>> using the GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) binary package from
>> ftp.gnu.org on C-x C-s the status bar shows "-\**- Filename" and the
>> message comes Saving file ... but the file isn't saved! It contains the
>> old contents!
> 
> What kind of file is it? on a local filesystem or a remote (networked)
> one?

it's a local file. The same did work with the old windows port 23.1.
Please note, that the message is Save ... and no Wrote ... has been seen.

The message buffer is

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
SignumDP.v has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Loading vc-hg...done
Saving file
d:/work/StructuralHealth/Software/PSoC5/Harvester/SignumComparator/SignumDP.cydsn/SignumDP/ms/SignumDP.v...
Auto-saving...

Auto save file #filename# appears in the directory!

> Also, are you sure the file is not in one of the directories that are
> protected by the OS?  Such files are written to the Virtual Store,
> into a shadow directory.

I'm sure, it's a standard ntfs file system where the common file/dir
permissions are. As mentioned before the prior used emacs did not have
this problem.

I start emacs by runemacs. running emacs from console by emacs -Q -q it
susccessfully wrote the file.

emacs origin is the binary (with elisp) http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/