Subject: bug#1168 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.60; facemenu-add-face-function and TeX-mode)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:05:08 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1168: 23.0.60; facemenu-add-face-function and TeX-mode

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1168: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1168
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.0.60; facemenu-add-face-function and TeX-mode
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:55:34 -0400

> The following problem was initially described by Kostas Oikonomou on
> help-gnu-emacs.  To reproduce open an arbitrary buffer in TeX mode and
> turn off font-lock-mode.  Now select
>
>   Edit->Text Properties->Background Color->Other
>
> and at the prompt type
>
>   yellow RET
>
> Emacs responds with
>
>   (error "Face ((:background yellow)) not configured for LaTeX mode")

Sorry for the long delay.  I've just checked a fix into CVS trunk which
should ensure that (i) the Text Properties menus are enabled in TeX (and
SGML) modes, and (ii) make the foreground and background menu entries do
the right thing (it uses the LaTex commands from the "color" LaTex
package, which is assumed to be included).
>From [email-masked] Tue Oct 14 11:40:46 2008
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:38:55 +0200
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: emacs-pretest-bug <[email-masked]>
CC: Kostas Oikonomou <[email-masked]>
Subject: 23.0.60; facemenu-add-face-function and TeX-mode

The following problem was initially described by Kostas Oikonomou on
help-gnu-emacs.  To reproduce open an arbitrary buffer in TeX mode and
turn off font-lock-mode.  Now select

   Edit->Text Properties->Background Color->Other

and at the prompt type

   yellow RET

Emacs responds with

   (error "Face ((:background yellow)) not configured for LaTeX mode")

IIUC `facemenu-add-face-function' in TeX-mode was configured for
transforming text like

   I want this bold.

into

   {\bf I want this bold.}

via marking and selecting the appropriate entry from the menu.  But by
default font-lock is active so this menu entry is dimmed and _not_
availabe.  When font-lock is deactivated this menu entry is available
but so are the Foreground and Background Color entries which are not
configured for TeX-mode and give raise to the error message above.

martin