Subject: bug#11676: 24.1; Daemon crashes when ssh dies

From: [email-masked] (Taylan Ulrich B.)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:30:37 +0200

I'm running emacs as a daemon on my home PC, and connect with ssh
from work, running emacsclient. The PC at work is unstable and
tends to crash (OS X gray shade of death; don't know if/how it kills
processes running on the system (e.g. ssh) but should be irrelevant).
_Sometimes_ this crash of the client PC will cause the daemon to
abort and dump core.

`bt full' and `bt' output (full seems to fail?):

(gdb) bt full
#0  0x499239ad in kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.64.0
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x08134ad9 in fatal_error_signal (sig=6) at emacs.c:366
        _mask = Variable "_mask" is not available.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x499239ad in kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.64.0
#1  0x08134ad9 in fatal_error_signal (sig=6) at emacs.c:366
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0x499239ad in kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.64.0
#4  0x0813451b in abort () at emacs.c:394
#5  0x081dfc4f in wait_reading_process_output (time_limit=0, microsecs=0, read_kbd=-1, do_display=1, 
    wait_for_cell=138602522, wait_proc=0x0, just_wait_proc=0) at process.c:4942
#6  0x0814285f in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=6, maps=0xcfbebe60, prev_event=138602522, 
    used_mouse_menu=0xcfbebfa4, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:3855
#7  0x08144402 in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0xcfbebff4, bufsize=30, prompt=138602522, 
    dont_downcase_last=0, can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1) at keyboard.c:9328
#8  0x08146297 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1449
#9  0x081a5f5d in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x81460e0 <command_loop_1>, handlers=138656178, 
    hfun=0x8140d80 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1515
#10 0x08140a03 in command_loop_2 (ignore=138602522) at keyboard.c:1160
#11 0x081a6005 in internal_catch (tag=138654178, func=0x81409e0 <command_loop_2>, arg=138602522)
    at eval.c:1272
#12 0x08141006 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:1139
#13 0x08141121 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:823
#14 0x08135838 in main (argc=2, argv=0xcfbec2a0) at emacs.c:1715

If I get a core dump with a different bt, I will let you know.
Note that I am running OpenBSD (5.1).

Regards,
Taylan

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-unknown-openbsd5.1, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
 of 2012-06-10 on taylan.dyndns.org
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-jpeg=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Term

Minor modes in effect:
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  tracking-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  workgroups-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC e DEL SPC s e n d SPC SPC m a i l SPC f SPC RET 
C-z C-z C-z C-z ESC x m a i l RET C-x k RET C-z C-z 
ESC x m e s s a SPC DEL TAB DEL RET TAB s e n d SPC 
m a SPC C-g C-z C-z C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-z C-z C-z v c o n f RET C-x C-f ~ 
/ v a r / e x t / e m TAB e m TAB s r c / RET e m C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s RET C-x C-f p r o C-s RET C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-l C-z C-z , h o w 
t o s e t u p s e m a n t i c b o v i n a t o r f o 
r a n e w l a n g u a g e RET C-p ESC f RET ESC > t 
h e SPC t i t l e SPC r e a l l y SPC s u i d DEL t 
s SPC C E D E T SPC h e r p SPC d e r p RET C-z C-z 
ESC C-l ESC C-l ESC C-l ESC C-l ESC C-l C-l ESC C-l 
ESC C-l ESC C-l ESC v ESC v ESC v ESC v ESC v ESC v 
ESC v ESC v ESC v ESC v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-c S u n a m e SPC - a RET ESC x r 
e p o SPC r t SPC e m a SPC TAB TAB RET

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Quit
Switched:  ( ** 0: irc | * 1: config | 2: gnus | 3: tor | 4: guitar | 5: org | 6: circe | 7: conkeror | 8: lisp | 9: xcode | 10: workirc | 11: termite )
byte-code: End of buffer [5 times]
Switched:  ( * 0: irc | ** 1: config | 2: gnus | 3: tor | 4: guitar | 5: org | 6: circe | 7: conkeror | 8: lisp | 9: xcode | 10: workirc | 11: termite )
Switched:  ( ** 0: irc | * 1: config | 2: gnus | 3: tor | 4: guitar | 5: org | 6: circe | 7: conkeror | 8: lisp | 9: xcode | 10: workirc | 11: termite )
Switched:  ( * 0: irc | ** 1: config | 2: gnus | 3: tor | 4: guitar | 5: org | 6: circe | 7: conkeror | 8: lisp | 9: xcode | 10: workirc | 11: termite )
Mark set
Switched:  ( ** 0: irc | * 1: config | 2: gnus | 3: tor | 4: guitar | 5: org | 6: circe | 7: conkeror | 8: lisp | 9: xcode | 10: workirc | 11: termite )
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/tub/var/ext/emacs/xcode.el/xcode hides /home/tub/var/ext/emacs/xcode
/home/tub/var/ext/emacs/workgroups.el/workgroups hides /home/tub/var/ext/emacs/workgroups
/home/tub/var/ext/emacs/magit/.dir-locals hides /home/tub/var/ext/emacs/emacs-24.1/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow emacsbug reposition rfc2104 smtpmail cus-edit cus-start cus-load
pp sendmail ibuf-ext gnus-cite shr-color color shr mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder utf-7 gnutls nnimap
parse-time utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
pcmpl-unix thingatpt scheme browse-url org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail
org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb multi-isearch network-stream starttls tls
php-mode etags cc-langs speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe xcode-taylan
xcode find-file cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs csv-mode sort keymap-taylan term
disp-table ehelp electric circe-taylan circe-color-nicks lui-logging
circe lui-irc-colors lcs lui-format lui rx tracking flyspell ispell
incomplete mail-taylan gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit
org-taylan org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs magit-taylan magit-bisect magit-key-mode magit
server esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff iswitchb diff-mode
log-edit pcvs-util add-log ac-taylan auto-complete-clang
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup yas-taylan yasnippet
dropdown-list derived warnings help-mode view easymenu wg-taylan
workgroups ibuffer-taylan ibuf-macs ibuffer tramp-taylan tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec tramp-loaddefs regexp-opt
ido-taylan ido electric-taylan uniquify-taylan uniquify advice
advice-preload paredit-taylan paredit undo-tree-taylan undo-tree
easy-mmode help-fns edmacro kmacro diff faces-taylan auto-mode-taylan
secrets-taylan time-date paren saveplace taylan-lib cl tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)