Subject: bug#11669: 24.1; Build failure on amd64 with x32 ABI

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 02:46:00 -0400

Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> +  AC_CHECK_DECL([__ILP32__], [machfile="m/intel386.h"])

emacs-24's configure.in already attempts to deal with this kind of
thing:

## Although we're running on an amd64 kernel, we're actually compiling for
## the x86 architecture.  The user should probably have provided an
## explicit --build to `configure', but if everything else than the kernel
## is running in i386 mode, we can help them out.
if test "$machine" = "amdx86-64"; then
  AC_CHECK_DECL([i386])
  if test "$ac_cv_have_decl_i386" = "yes"; then
    canonical=`echo "$canonical" | sed -e 's/^amd64/i386/' -e 's/^x86_64/i386/'`
    machine=intel386
    machfile="m/${machine}.h"
  fi
fi

So I guess you don't define i386 but rather __ILP32__ for some reason?

However, the src/m files have been removed in the trunk and the above
piece of configure with it.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2012-05/msg00352.html

I don't know what, if anything, replaces it.

Is passing an explicit --build to configure now the recommended/only way
to deal with this?