Subject: Re: bug#11666: default-directory

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 04:08:23 +0200

Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But would binding `default-directory' to "/" (or something) for the
>> Gnus process buffers be the right thing?  
>
> Why not?

I was wondering whether that would bug out on some OS-es...

> I think so.  How about binding it to something that is pretty much
> guaranteed to exist as long as Emacs is running, say, the user's home
> directory or user-emacs-directory?

I could imagine that "~" wouldn't be useful on some OS-es?  But
`user-emacs-directory' would probably be safe?

I also wonder what buffers would need to have `default-directory' set
locally.  The nntp and nnimap server buffers; sure.  But what about the
smtpmail buffer, for instance?

Is this a problem that should be solved globally in Emacs, somehow?

Come to think of it, what is really the real problem?  :-)  What is it
that makes `default-directory' make any difference when opening a
network connection?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/