Subject: 24.1; Cannot use OpenSSL when GnuTLS is installed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 21:23:24 -0400

It appears that one cannot use OpenSSL when GnuTLS is installed.

Gnus, for instance, will use GnuTLS opportunistically.

Glenn gave the following workaround:

         (defalias 'gnutls-available-p 'ignore)

One used to be able to specify OpenSSL or even gnutls-cli, i.e.
I believe that this is a regression.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-06-01 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp949
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> n <return> q y <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Warning: Opening nnimap server on dada...failed: ; Unable to open server nnimap+dada due to: Unknown service: 993
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)  y
Saving k:/home/.newsrc...
Saving file k:/home/.newsrc...
Wrote k:/home/.newsrc
Saving k:/home/.newsrc...done
Saving k:/home/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file k:/home/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote k:/home/.newsrc.eld
Saving k:/home/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail nndraft nnmh nndoc utf-7
rfc2104 nnimap utf7 nnfolder parse-time netrc gnutls network-stream
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache re-builder
multi-isearch offlineimap google-weather url-cache google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json pcmpl-ssh
executable pcomplete jabber jabber-libnotify dbus jabber-awesome
jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage jabber-festival jabber-sawfish
jabber-ratpoison jabber-screen jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server
jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client
jabber-si-common jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time
jabber-autoaway jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events
jabber-vcard jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp comint ansi-color ring
jabber-browse jabber-search jabber-register jabber-roster
jabber-presence jabber-muc jabber-muc-nick-coloring assoc hexrgb
jabber-newdisco jabber-widget jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core jabber-console
sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login
sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml
xml jabber-menu jabber-autoloads jabber-util epa-file epa epg epg-config
sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group mm-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp password-cache url-vars mailcap gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message derived
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-mode view advice advice-preload pager w3m-search w3m
help-fns browse-url doc-view easymenu jka-compr dired desktop regexp-opt
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit w3m-wget server
easy-mmode cl edmacro kmacro paren time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)