Subject: Re: bug#11649: 24.1.50; Some compilation woes

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:40:54 -0400

>> > By contrast, on MS-Windows, all of the Lisp files are compiled with
>> > the bootstrapped Emacs executable, so they all are compiled with the
>> > interpreted byte compiler.
>> Ahh... that could explain this high stack use.  That should also impose
>> a fairly high impact on compilation speed.
> But note that previously, 1200 was enough for the same compilation,
> and the speed was also much higher.

Yes, the stack depth is probably linked to the 8x speed impact discussed
elsewhere.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds likeyour scenario requires
> two compilations of cl-macs.el.

That's right.

> If so, this scenario cannot explain the problem, because cl-macs.el is
> compiled exactly once during bootstrap; before the compilation there's
> only cl-macs.el.

Then, we need to investigate the real source of the problem.
Does someone have a reproducible recipe for it?

        Stefan