Subject: bug#11640: 24.1.50; texinfo-format-printindex fails on Windows with Windows's sort

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:23:46 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:49:58 +0200
> Cc: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Wouldn't it make sense to use it everywhere?
> 
> I don't know. That code was removed in revno:89810, and was only used
> for MS-DOS, Windows and VMS.

I agree with Andreas: if we have a built-in functionality, using it is
better than relying on an external program.

> I don't know the rationale for using the system sort on other
> OSes. Performance, perhaps?

How about tradition? ;-)

Seriously, I find it hard to believe that performance matters in this
case, especially since texinfmt.el is no longer the main recommended
way of producing Info from Texinfo, which is why it doesn't get
updated with the latest features of the Texinfo language.

Stefan, Chong, any objections to sorting the indices in Lisp in this
case?