Subject: Re: bug#11634: 24.1; Emacs fails to start, bidi_mirror_table is nil in bidi_initialize

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:59:53 +0300

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:53:10 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Ulrich Mueller <[email-masked]>
> 
> You crystal ball is working well. ;-) See the downstream bug at
> <https://bugs.gentoo.org/419665>, especially comment 27.

Thanks.

> I guess this bug can be closed then.

Done.

> (--no-site-lisp should work though, even if Emacs was configured
> with a non-default locallisppath.

Can you see why it didn't?

> And bidi_initialize() could output a better error message ...)

That could be tricky, because there's no way to know when it will be
called.  Displaying an error message from the display engine is a
risky business, because doing that re-enters redisplay, so you get a
wedged Emacs that flickers trying to do the same thing over and over
and over again, ad nauseam.

Maybe we should simply preload bidi-mirrored.el.