Subject: Re: bug#11612: 24.1; Defaults create warning on startup

From: yary <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:57:53 -0400

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Could the warning message "Setting HOME to C:\ by default is
>> deprecated" also include "Move .emacs out from C:\"
>
> There is nothing wrong with having .emacs in c:\.
>
> IIUC, this change is about Emacs not looking in c:\ _by default_.  It is not
> about discouraging or forbidding anyone from setting HOME to c:\.

OK, I didn't know the background. A pointer to an info node about the
change might be more appropriate, give room for description.

The problem I had was being confronted with a warning, not being sure
of the source, not finding a variable "HOME" after typing "c-h v HOME"
("c-h v *home*" got me closer, but the docs for abbreviated-home-dir
didn't tell me much), and not knowing where and how HOME was being
set. So all this warning needs is a little more verbosity, giving the
end user more help on fixing the cause.

Thanks