Subject: Re: bug#11602: "Qualified group name" undefined

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:53:15 -0400

on Mon Jun 11 2012, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The info manual and docstrings for e.g. gnus-group-line-format both use
>> the term without defining precisely what it means.
>
> Since the doc string reads:
>
> %G    Group name (string)
> %g    Qualified group name (string)
>
> I think it would be superfluous to say much more.  One is longer than
> the other.

I think I've not made my point very clearly.  Let me try again.  If I'm
writing some code to work with Gnus, I can almost never tell whether a
Gnus function that takes "a group name" expects a "qualified group name"
or some "unqualified" group name form, nor can I tell precisely what
that distinction means.  Do I have to convert one to the other?  If so,
when and where must that happen?  The fact that one is longer than the
other is not the only interesting feature of qualification.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com