Subject: bug#11600: Must subscribe in order to avoid long "nntp read:" waits

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:01:35 -0400

I recently got rid of my local leafnode server and went back to
accessing gmane and giganews directly.  However, I took things
step-by-step and just added the servers without immediately subscribing
any groups.  What I found was that the nntp-send-mode-reader function
would have to process an enormous number of lines every time I hit `G'
in the *Group* buffer, which was quite slow.  On a hunch I decided to
subscribe a group from each of those servers and the problem went away.

Ma Gnus v0.6
GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1138.47)
 of 2012-05-24 on pluto.luannocracy.com
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)
101 Capability list:
VERSION 2
IMPLEMENTATION INN 2.5.1
AUTHINFO USER
HDR
LIST ACTIVE ACTIVE.TIMES DISTRIB.PATS HEADERS NEWSGROUPS OVERVIEW.FMT
OVER
POST
READER
STARTTLS
.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com