Subject: Re: bug#11600: Must subscribe in order to avoid long "nntp read:" waits

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:40:35 -0400

on Wed Sep 05 2012, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> What I found was that the nntp-send-mode-reader function would have to
>>> process an enormous number of lines every time I hit `G' in the
>>> *Group* buffer, which was quite slow.
>>
>> Uhm...  `nntp-send-mode-reader' doesn't process anything.
>>
>> Could you ELP-instrument nntp and see what takes so long?
>
> Any progress here?

I just reproduced this behavior and ELP'd it with 

  mkdir /tmp/larsi
  mv <the attached .emacs file> /tmp/larsi/
  HOME=/tmp/larsi emacs

  `M-x el-get-install RET nognus RET'
  `M-x RET gnus RET'

Naturally, I can't give you the .authinfo file that goes with this
directory, but I'm sure you can massage things appropriately.  el-get
takes a *long* time to initialize the first time you start emacs with
this init file; I'm sure you have a faster way to get the latest Gnus
into your load-path, but this is reliable.

It produced the following ELP results

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
nntp-request-list                 3           12.511693000  4.1705643333
nntp-with-open-group-function     3           12.511677     4.170559
nntp-send-command-and-decode      3           12.511605     4.170535
nntp-accept-process-output        1984        12.323542999  0.0062114632
nntp-open-server                  3           3.848937      1.2829789999
nntp-open-connection              3           3.848764      1.2829213333
nntp-send-mode-reader             3           0.361392      0.120464
nntp-decode-text                  11          0.356008      0.0323643636
nntp-send-authinfo                4           0.05992       0.01498
nntp-handle-authinfo              1           0.057592      0.057592
nntp-find-connection-buffer       1984        0.0036499999  1.839...e-06
nntp-read-server-type             3           7.9e-05       2.633...e-05
nntp-make-process-buffer          3           3.8e-05       1.266...e-05
nntp-possibly-change-group        3           2.499...e-05  8.333...e-06
nntp-erase-buffer                 17          2e-05         1.176...e-06
nntp-server-opened                9           1.499...e-05  1.666...e-06
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

HTH,

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training
http://www.boostpro.com             Clang/LLVM/EDG Compilers  C++  Boost