Subject: Re: bug#11599: New Gnus reads full group information too often

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:45:41 -0500

>>>>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Right.  Something happens to the `unexist' tracking that makes Gnus think
> that it needs to do a full resync, because it's gotten totally out of sync.

> I've had the same report from another user who's done extensive tracing to
> try to find out why this happens, but so far I haven't been able to
> reproduce or figure out why this happens.

> Could you try to `g' until it stops doing the "initial sync" thing.  And
> then `G E' on a group when it's "ok", and then `G E' the group again after
> you've triggered the "initial sync" thing?  I think nnimap messes up the
> group data somehow...

You know, I think this was Dovecot's fault, not Gnus.  I noticed that in the
groups where this was occurring, the IMAP message counts got doubled (in some
cases, many times over).  So I killed all the dups, did a force-resync on
everything, and since then Gnus has never said "initial sync" to me.

So, all is back to normal here, but I'm still in the dark as to what caused
the message duplication, or the re-syncing in Gnus.  Which one came first is a
mystery to me.

John