Subject: frame-local-variable documentation

From: Nikolaj Schumacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:23:21 +0200

As far as I can tell frame-local variables have been (or are about to
be) removed and currently don't work.  Given that, I find the
documentation slightly misleading.

`modify-frame-parameters' still contains this paragraph:

> The value of frame parameter FOO can also be accessed
> as a frame-local binding for the variable FOO, if you have
> enabled such bindings for that variable with
> `make-variable-frame-local'.

That should be removed, I think.

`make-variable-frame-local' has this note:

> This function is obsolete since 22.2;
> use a frame-parameter instead.

I think those two carry the notion that it's still possible to access a
frame-parameter as a variable, just by using modify-frame-parameters.

The explanation in the NEWS file is more clear in this regard:

> They can easily be emulated.  Rather than calling
> `make-variable-frame-local' and accessing the variable value directly,
> explicitly check for a frame-parameter

But I think removing the first one should avoid any confusion.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher