Subject: RE: bug#11588: 24.0.97; Left mouse click setting the mark every time?!??

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:15:19 -0700

> Sure, but from a user's point of view, shouldn't all 
> applications running under the same window system have the 
> same understanding of a "drag gesture"?

Not necessarily, if "drag gesture" and "drag" mean different things for
different applications.

But yes, I imagine that there should be such a user setting at the window mgr
level, possibly with overriding by an app's user settings.

> I just took a peek into the Apple Cocoa docs, and Apple
> defines a mouseDragged event. So on Mac OS, it seems that it
> is not the application's job

Not the application's job is one thing - I'd agree.

That doesn't mean an application shouldn't or couldn't have its own, overriding
notion of a drag event.  If an app can have its own notion of a zimphlot event,
then it can call it "my-drag"...

> to determine whether a click starts a drag 
> or is just a click, the window system does that job for the 
> application.

By default, yes.  But it's just like the click itself, which Emacs defines to
some extent.  Not that the app _has_ to, but it _can_.