Subject: bug#11588: 24.0.97; Left mouse click setting the mark every time?!??

From: Tobias Bading <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:58:10 +0200

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but selecting 
a region with a combination of keyboard and mouse doesn't work any 
longer in Emacs 24, at least not in a plain emacs -Q session. Marking 
the start of a region with C-SPC and then using a simple mouse click to 
mark the end doesn't work anymore, because clicking anywhere seems to 
set the mark now. My muscle memory, trained over decades by Emacs 23 and 
its predecessors, doesn't like this change. I keep M-w'ing and C-w'ing 
empty regions :-(. What's also a bit annoying IMHO is that fact, that 
the Cut and Copy buttons in the tool-bar flash everytime I click 
somewhere to position the cursor. I just notice this now, because I 
don't have a tool-bar in my usual customization.

Is there a customization option that I've overlooked which prevents 
<down-mouse-1> (or is it <mouse-1>?) from setting the mark?
I've also looked over the "** Selection changes" part of etc/NEWS, but 
didn't find anything related to this particular effect.

Kind regards,
Tobias

---

In GNU Emacs 24.0.97.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
  of 2012-05-25 on pen-bld-274apcl
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
Configured using:
  `configure '--prefix=...''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
   value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-SPC <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-w <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)