Subject: bug#11585: 24.0.50; corrupted byte compiled files

From: Pierre Lorenzon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:57:06 +0200 (CEST)

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Hi,

Certain of my .el files are incorrectly compiled. See the .elc
file with a long name.

More details : It seems that a part of the .elc file is missing
as if a part of the character strream was discarded. I cannot
figure out why.

But more suprisingly when renaming the file with a much more
shorter name everything goes well as if there was a limitation
in the file name length. I must point out that there are only
ascii characters composing the file name.

Moreover even with the long name the .el (uncompiled file) is
perfectly correct and load perfectly as well as the .elc
(compiled file) with the short name.

I had this problem with emacs 24.0.50 as well as witth
24.0.95. I should say that I am using these devloppeing
versions since I appreciate ieieio to be integrated in it. I
never had this compilation problem with emacs 23 but probalbly
never tried with so long file names. Moreover emacs 23 is no
longer available on my system to test. But if it could be
useful I can reinstall this stable version.

See examples attached.

Is there a limitation somewhere ? 

Regards 

Pierre

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.0.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2011-01-13 on jabberwocky
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  global-speechd-speak-mode: t
  speechd-speak-mode: t
  global-speechd-speak-map-mode: t
  speechd-speak-map-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
d i s c o v e r SPC w h e r e SPC i s SPC t h SPC p 
r o b l e m SPC . . . . ESC q RET RET RET TAB T h a 
n k s SPC RET RET TAB P I e r r e ESC [ 1 ~ ESC [ C 
ESC [ C ESC [ C ESC [ 3 ~ i ESC [ 4 ~ C-c C-c y ESC 
[ A . C-x o ESC [ B C-@ ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC 
[ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B 
ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC 
[ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B 
ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC 
[ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC w C-x o ESC 
[ A ESC [ A C-x o ESC [ A ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC 
[ B ESC [ B . C-x o ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B 
ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC 
[ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ B ESC [ A ESC [ A 
ESC [ A ESC [ A ESC [ A ESC [ B ESC x r e p o TAB r 
TAB b TAB RET

Recent messages:
+draft/4 has been queued to +queue/3 (from Draft mode)
Connecting to the SMTP server...done
Sending in background...done
Mark set
line-move-visual: End of buffer
Saved text from "Hi,

Certain of my .el files are incorre"
line-move-visual: Beginning of buffer
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/customization/site-start hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-ssip hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-ssip
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-speak hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-speak
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/brltty hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/brltty
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/mmanager hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/mmanager
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-common hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-common
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-version hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-version
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-out hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-out
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/braille hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/braille
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-bug hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-bug
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-braille hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-braille
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-brltty hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-brltty
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd/speechd-compile hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/speechd.cvs/speechd-compile

Features:
(shadow emacsbug help-mode view pp mew-varsx vc-cvs vc-rcs
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-category
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-categories
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-references
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-pieces
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-performer
j++-packages-cdrom-components-performer
j++-packages-databases-cds-performer
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-performers
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-discid
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-discids
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-piece
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-type
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-author
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-authors
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-all
j++-packages-cdrom-projects-project j++-sound-project
j++-packages-sound-sound-project
j++-packages-cdrom-components-reference
j++-packages-cdrom-components-discid
j++-packages-cdrom-components-author
j++-packages-cdrom-components-person
j++-packages-databases-cds-author
j++-packages-databases-items-person
j++-packages-cdrom-components-piece
j++-packages-cdrom-components-item j++-packages-cdrom-track
j++-basic-processes-asynchronous j++-basic-flaggable
j++-packages-project-target j++-basic-widgets-open-close-title
j++-basic-widgets-open-close j++-packages-cdrom-cddb-client
j++-basic-processes-network-stream
j++-packages-cdrom-cdda-client j++-basic-processes-queueable
j++-basic-parsers-parser j++-basic-mastered
j++-packages-cdrom-cdrom j++-basic-string-filter
j++-basic-duration j++-basic-interfaces-pointed
j++-basic-interfaces-interface j++-basic-lists-pointed
j++-basic-creator j++-basic-lists-list j++-basic-mapable
j++-basic-sortable j++-basic-state
j++-basic-widgets-synchronized j++-basic-synchronized
j++-basic-widgets-object t-mouse info tool-bar reftex-auc
reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars noutline outline
font-latex newcomment Tss-LaTeX-remap latex easy-mmode edmacro
kmacro tex-style tex j++-project j++-packages-project-project
j++-packages-project-file j++-basic-processes-svn
j++-basic-processes-synchronous j++-basic-processes-process
j++-basic-files-file-manager j++-basic-files-file
j++-basic-files-serializable j++-basic-files-stringifiable
ede/dired ede/proj-elisp ede/pconf package desktop
speechd-el-extension Tss-TeX-remap tex-style-system
tex-style-system-eieio Tss-context Tss-common Tss-widget
Tss-util tree pln-auctex tex-site auto-loads pln-ede
latex/edext-target-exercise latex/edext-latex edext-project
edext-vc vc-svn vc vc-dispatcher edext-srecode semantic/edit
semantic/find srecode/srt-mode semantic/analyze semantic/sort
semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db semantic/format
srecode/template srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/ctxt srecode/ctxt
semantic/tag-ls srecode/compile srecode/table srecode/map
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw edext-utils edext ede/proj-misc
ede/pmake ede/proj-obj ede/proj ede/make ede/proj-comp
ede/autoconf-edit autoconf autoconf-mode j++ ede/linux
ede/emacs ede/cpp-root srecode mode-local ede/speedbar
ede/files speechd-el-ede ede ede/source eieio-base
eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe assoc
eieio-custom cedet pln-mew mew-w3m speechd-el-w3m w3m
browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired regexp-opt image-mode
timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit warnings w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon image w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util mew-auth
mew-config mew-imap2 mew-imap mew-nntp2 mew-nntp mew-pop
mew-smtp mew-ssl mew-ssh mew-net mew-highlight mew-sort mew-fib
mew-ext mew-refile mew-demo mew-attach mew-draft mew-message
mew-thread mew-virtual mew-summary4 mew-summary3 mew-summary2
mew-summary mew-search mew-pick mew-passwd mew-scan mew-syntax
mew-bq mew-smime mew-pgp mew-header mew-exec mew-mark mew-mime
mew-edit mew-decode mew-encode mew-cache mew-minibuf
mew-complete mew-addrbook mew-local mew-unix mew-vars3
mew-vars2 mew-vars mew-env mew-mule3 mew-mule mew-gemacs
easymenu mew-key mew-func mew-blvs mew-const speechd-el-mew mew
pln-w3m pln-customization speechd-speak advice help-fns
advice-preload speechd-ssip speechd-brltty speechd-braille
braille mmanager brltty cl cl-19 speechd-out eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile speechd speechd-common ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)
(TeX-add-style-hook '(Tss-slave :name "Etude-des-Fonctions-Zeta-des-Courbes-Modulaires-Aux-Places-de-Bonne-Reductions/Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes" :master-directory "../" :state (new)) 
		    (lambda ()
		      (TeX-style-system-init-master "../Scholze")
		      (LaTeX-add-index-entries
		       "$\\sigma$-conjugués"
		       "$\\sigma$-centralisateur"
		       )
		      (LaTeX-add-labels
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.8"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.4"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.10"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.thm.7"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.5"
		       )

		      )
		    )
(TeX-add-style-hook '(Tss-slave :name "Etude-des-Fonctions-Zeta-des-Courbes-Modulaires-Aux-Places-de-Bonne-Reductions/Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes" :master-directory "../" :state (new)) 
		    (lambda ()
		      (TeX-style-system-init-master "../Scholze")
		      (LaTeX-add-index-entries
		       "$\\sigma$-conjugués"
		       "$\\sigma$-centralisateur"
		       )
		      (LaTeX-add-labels
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.8"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.4"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.10"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.thm.7"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.5"
		       )

		      )
		    )