Subject: bug#11574: 24.1.50; changes to default Ediff faces

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 06:53:42 -0700

> > Just to get back the same Ediff appearance I have in previous Emacs
> > versions I had to open a previous version and track down those four
> > faces and their default attributes, then customize each of 
> > them in the latest Emacs 24.
> 
> You don't need to open a previous version, because you can just remove
> the added face characteristic for 88 colors.

Sorry, I have no idea what that means or how to discover what it means.  Could
you please explain?

> > And there is not even anything in NEWS about this...
> It's documented in NEWS.

Where?  I searched for "ediff".  Based on your reply now, I searched for "88"
and for "characteristic" and for "colors".  Still no luck.  I don't see anything
in your reply that relates to any NEWS entry.

Oh... now I found it - maybe.  Searching for "diff" shows an entry that says
something that might be related.

But how to know?  It says nothing about any of the faces I mentioned, or even
any face names that are close.  And it says nothing about my "removing [or your
adding] the added face characteristic for 88 colors" to get back the former
default behavior.

I really have no idea what this change to ediff (or to colors?) is about.  What
face characteristic for 88 colors?