Subject: 24.0.97; Emacs does not react to some mouse events

From: "Lars Ljung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 15:09:24 +0200 (CEST)

Sometimes Emacs stops responding to mouse clicks. Unfortunately I'm not
sure how to reproduce this.

This is how the problem manifests itself:

- It's not possible to mark text, switch window etc. with the mouse
- Mouse clicks does not show up in C-h l, except for wheel-up/down
(scrolling with the mouse does work)
- The toolbar does not work (no response to clicks and no tooltips)
- The menu bar does work as normal

The mouse will work fine in any new frame I create (C-x 5 2).

It usually starts working again (later the same day) but I'm not sure when
this happens either.

What can I do to investigate this further?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.97.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-05-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: SVE
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semantic-decoration-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-completions-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-edits-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
i n SPC C-x b <return> M-< <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <help-echo> <down-mouse-3> <mouse-3>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-a
C-x b <return> ( l i k e SPC l a t e r SPC t h e SPC
s a m e SPC d a y ) SPC b u t SPC I SPC <backspace>
' m SPC n o t e <backspace> SPC s u r e SPC w h y .
<return> <return> I s SPC t h e r e SPC a SPC w a y
SPC C-SPC C-a <backspace> W h a t SPC c a n SPC I SPC
d o SPC t o SPC t r o u b l e - s <backspace> <backspace>
SPC <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> i n
v e s t i g a t e SPC t h u s SPC <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> i s SPC f u r h t e r <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> t h e r ? <return> <return>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right>
<C-right> <C-right> <right> f i n e M-d M-d <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <C-right>
<C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <backspace> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up>
<up> <up> <up> C-a <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right>
<C-right> <C-right> <C-left> C-SPC <C-right> <right>
<backspace> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> M-x e m a c s - r e p <tab> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o <tab> r
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:

Mark set [3 times]
byte-code: End of buffer [17 times]
Mark set
byte-code: End of buffer [7 times]
Mark set [3 times]
byte-code: End of buffer [24 times]
Mark set
byte-code: End of buffer [12 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
c:/Documents and Settings/LALJ/Application
Data/.emacs.d/elpa/zenburn-theme-1.4/zenburn-theme hides c:/Documents and
Settings/LALJ/Application Data/.emacs.d/zenburn-theme

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils semantic/html sgml-mode
calculator newcomment semantic/analyze/refs apropos dired-aux cus-start
cus-load linum dabbrev align semantic/edit thingatpt semantic/tag-write
semantic/analyze/complete semantic/bovine hl-line ede/dired
semantic/db-typecache semantic/complete eieio-opt multi-isearch
semantic/find semantic/imenu semantic/sb ede/locate locate dired
semantic/tag-file imenu semantic/db-file cedet-files semantic/bovine/c
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
hi-lock cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds help-mode
vc-dispatcher nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util password-cache url-vars
mm-util mail-prsvr ido org-colview view mule-util cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-iso org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
find-func org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-agenda browse-url svg-clock-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads
zenburn-theme cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ede/linux
ede/emacs ede/cpp-root ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto
ede/source eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image dframe assoc eieio-custom
package tabulated-list electric semantic/mru-bookmark
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio mode-local cedet dos-indent
dos psvn wid-edit cl log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode vc-svn org
byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp advice help-fns
advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec regexp-opt
cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs paren server time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)