Subject: Re: bug#11571: 24.0.97; doc string of `dired-get-subdir-min'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 19:59:19 -0800

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Actually, the real bug is that `dired-get-subdir-min' has no doc string, so the
> doc string of `cdr' is used in its stead.  The whole point of defining and using
> a separate function for this, instead of just coding with `cdr', is to enable
> readers of the code - and a fortiori the doc - to think in terms of the data
> structure of directories and not just abstract cons cells.  There should be doc
> at the proper level of abstraction here.

Help says:

---
dired-get-subdir-min is an alias for `cdr' in `dired.el'.

(dired-get-subdir-min LIST)

Return the cdr of LIST.  If arg is nil, return nil.
Error if arg is not nil and not a cons cell.  See also `cdr-safe'.
---

I think that's fine.

However:

;; can't use macro,  must be redefinable for other alist format in dired-nstd.
(defalias 'dired-get-subdir-min 'cdr)

Which is kinda er.

I don't know what nstd is, and the function doesn't seem to be redefined
anywhere, so is this just legacy gunk?  Should `dired-get-subdir-min'
just be replaced by `cdr' in all the calling sites?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/