Subject: 23.0.60; GUD hangs

From: Guillaume Salagnac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:24:04 +1000

I try to debug a program with M-x gdb, like I did in the past, but it
does not seem to work in recent emacsen. gdb starts (in a *gud*
buffer) but does not respond to commands. Even a simple "help" does
not suceed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong (then please correct me), but it does
work fine in emacs 21. I experienced the same behaviour here in an emacs
23.0.60.1 and 22.1.1 (all three versions as shipped in ubuntu hardy)

BTW, this is my first bug report, but it is my second try :
 M-x bug-report seems to be address messages by default to
[email-masked] that goes nowhere. But maybe I am perhaps
doing something wrong.

Edit: third try, actually, because this message has just been sent blank 
by emacs. I try again from thunderbird (fortunately I had backuped the 
content of the message this time)

-Guillaume

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-03-20 on vernadsky, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 1:20080228-1ubuntu1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 
'i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/leim' 
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--enable-font-backend' 
'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 
'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g 
-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x g d b <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <return> h e l p <return> C-c C-c M-x r
e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.