Subject: bug#11545: 24.0.96-mac-2.92; Strange speed problem scrolling in C++ code

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:31:23 -0500

>>>>> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

>> To the CC-Mode maintainers: is there a way to disable the slower, "more
>> correct" mode in the latest CC-Mode, and go back to the entirely sufficient
>> (for me) mode of previous versions?

> Not as such, no.  The only workaround at the moment is to use a
> "pre-correct" version of CC Mode in place of an up to date one.

Ok, I've done that (am now using the version of cc-mode from 23.4 in my 24.1
Emacs, and everything is super-snappy again).

> Anyhow, I've got the problem flagged as a bug now.  Thanks again for
> reporting it.

Thanks!  Just FYI: This doesn't just make scrolling laggy.  I have some long C
files which, if I add a statement that breaks up the fontification (for
example, I'm writing code that isn't yet valid), the buffer slows down to the
point that it takes up to 20 seconds for Emacs to register each keypress!  The
old cc-mode doesn't have this problem at all.

Thanks again,
  John