Subject: bug#11541: 24.0.97; Crash when visiting file on OS X 10.7.3

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 23:11:19 +0300

> From: "C. Florian Ebeling" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:50:21 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> Yes, I understand. My problem is that I don't know what to look for, honestly. I haven't used the NSFontDescriptor API much and I don't know the first thing about Emacs internals. The slowness or tedium is not my biggest worry.

The code involved in this hardly ever touches Emacs internals.  It's
simple ObjC code, at least to my naive eyes.

As the first goal, I suggest to try figuring out what happens with the
font_spec argument to ns_findfonts -- is it corrupted right at entry
to the function, or does it get corrupted later?  You should display
it, using the same commands you used for scratch_font_spec in its
caller, right at the entry to the function.  Assuming the value at
entry is OK (which would be my guess), then step through the code of
ns_findfonts, and see which line causes its corruption.

When we know where the corruption happens, we could reason about what
to try next.

TIA