Subject: Re: bug#11536: 23.4; frequent spurious auto-save while typing

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 17:04:49 +0200

Jim Paris <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've had a recurring problem with various versions of emacs over the
> years: as I type into a buffer, "Auto-saving...done" flashes repeatedly
> in the minibuffer.  On some systems, it happens every few characters
> that I type, while on other systems, it is less frequent (but still more
> frequent than my auto-save-interval of 300 characters, or my
> auto-save-timeout value of 30 seconds).

[...]

> I believe that this happens due to a race condition with SIGIO delivery
> inside wait_reading_process_output, as follows.  Line numbers are from
> process.c in debian's emacs23-23.4+1.  The pseudocode is roughly:

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I seem to remember there being some work done in this area over the last
few years, so this may be fixed by now.  Are you still seeing this issue
in recent Emacs versions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no