Subject: bug#11530: closed (Fwd: 24.1.50; electric-pair does not insert closer for double opener)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 23:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11530: 24.1.50; electric-pair does not insert closer for double opener

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11530: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11530
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Fwd: 24.1.50; electric-pair does not insert closer for double opener
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 19:14:46 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Seems to have been fixed in 24.5 at the latest.

Subject: 24.1.50; electric-pair does not insert closer for double opener
From: Simon Law <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 23:59:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Reproduction steps:

$ emacs -Q
M-x electric-pair-mode
Type "(("

Expected result, where | is the point:
((|))

Actual result:
((|)

Notes:

Users expect typing two-openers will result in two matching closers, due
to the description of electric-pair-mode.

It looks like the bug is caused in
electric-pair-post-self-insert-function on line 354. Here is a patch:

diff -c -L /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/electric.el.gz -L \#\<buffer\ electric.el.gz\> /tmp/jka-com15573B0q /tmp/buffer-content-15573AIA
*** /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/electric.el.gz
--- #<buffer electric.el.gz>
***************
*** 351,357 ****
                 ;; I find it more often preferable not to pair when the
                 ;; same char is next.
                 (eq last-command-event (char-after))
-                (eq last-command-event (char-before (1- (point))))
                 ;; I also find it often preferable not to pair next to a word.
                 (eq (char-syntax (following-char)) ?w)))
        (save-excursion (insert closer))))))
--- 351,356 ----

The comment above the deleted line is actually valid, but the deleted
line does not reflect that comment at all.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.0)
 of 2012-05-10 on charichuelo, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20120510-1~ppa1~oneiric1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g
 -Wl,--as-needed -znocombreloc' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e l e c t r i c - p a i <tab> <return> ( ( C-a 
C-SPC C-n M-w C-x b C-g C-x 4 m C-x k <return> C-x 
o <return> ( ( M-x r e p o r t - b <backspace> e <backspace> 
b u g - e m <tab> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Electric-Pair mode enabled
Mark set
byte-code: End of buffer
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail gnus-util message format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader cus-start cus-load electric time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)