Subject: bug#11522: closed (Re: bug#11522: 24.0.97; Bad doc about minor mode keys: (elisp) `Keymaps and Minor Modes')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 05:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11522: 24.0.97; Bad doc about minor mode keys: (elisp) `Keymaps and Minor Modes'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11522: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11522
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11522: 24.0.97; Bad doc about minor mode keys: (elisp) `Keymaps and Minor Modes'
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:31:17 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> "The key sequences bound in a minor mode should consist of `C-c'
>  followed by one of `.,/?`'"[]\|~!#$%^&*()-_+='.
>  (The other punctuation characters are reserved for major modes.)"
>  
> Absolutely not.  The `C-c' minor-mode keys, yes.  Minor-mode keys in
> general, no.

Fixed, thanks.

Subject: 24.0.97; Bad doc about minor mode keys: (elisp) `Keymaps and Minor Modes'
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:00:19 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

What (elisp) `Keymaps and Minor Modes' says is horribly wrong:
 
"The key sequences bound in a minor mode should consist of `C-c'
 followed by one of `.,/?`'"[]\|~!#$%^&*()-_+='.
 (The other punctuation characters are reserved for major modes.)"
 
Absolutely not.  The `C-c' minor-mode keys, yes.  Minor-mode keys in
general, no.
 
What it is correct to say about minor-mode key bindings is said,
carefully, in (elisp) `Key Binding Conventions'.  Nothing more
restrictive than that.  And it is better to provide a link to that page
than it is to try to repeat that information in `Keymaps and Minor
Modes'.
 
Regarding `C-c' key sequences: Few of them are reserved for major modes.
The rest of them are allocated to minor modes or to users (`C-c' +
letter).  That's the way the C-c-plus-punctuation restriction should be
presented: Minor modes get all C-c-plus-punctuation bindings not
mentioned in the major-mode list, and those are the only `C-c' keys they
get.
 
But the real doc bug here is that it says that minor-mode keys are
limited to `C-c' followed by a punctuation mark from the list shown.
Not at all.  Minor modes, like major modes, are by no means limited to
keys on prefix `C-c'!
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.97.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-05-16 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'