Subject: bug#11515: closed (Re: bug#11515: Letters flow right to left when reaching the bottom of my screen)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 20:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11515: Letters flow right to left when reaching the bottom of my screen

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11515: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11515
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11515: Letters flow right to left when reaching the bottom of my screen
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 15:55:58 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] wrote:

> I couldn't reproduce this on a recent (24.5) Emacs, the description is a
> bit unclear (I tried increasing the font a few times, then started
> typing random letters) and the video is not available.

No response in months, closing.

Subject: Letters flow right to left when reaching the bottom of my screen
From: Trevor Vartanoff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 21:34:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I type until I reach the bottom right of the screen and keep going, 
Emacs often types in reverse, producing useless gibberish.

This happens on Win 7 and Debian, even with a blank .emacs file.

Usually I only stumble over this when typing with extremely large font 
size on a 1920x1200 monitor, with 8-12 lines fitting on the screen. But 
it can happen with as many as 20 lines.

Here's a demo video of the behavior on Debian with a blank .emacs
http://youtu.be/CYLD8jO3aPs

Thanks, Trevor

------- ****** Below are the verbose readouts produced and requested by 
m-x report-emacs-bug on both systems *******

*************** Debian ***************
In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
  of 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/leim' 
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   text-scale-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-= C-= C-= C-= C-= C-x C-= C-= C-= M-x r e p o
r t - e m a c s <return>

Recent messages:
Loading 00debian-vars...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50cmake-data.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el 
(source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el 
(source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50git-core.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug face-remap
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

*************** Windows 7 ***************
In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
  of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: ENU
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: cp1252
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<lwindow> <help-echo> M-x b u g <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <retur
n>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
c://emacs-23.3/site-lisp/goto-last-change hides 
c://emacs-23.3/lisp/goto-last-change

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)