Subject: Building Emacs on Mac OS 10.3.9

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:27:41 +0200

I'm trying to build Emacs from CVS on my old iBook running Mac OS 10.3.9.

The last Emacs I built on this machine was GNU Emacs 22.1.1
(powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of 2007-06-05 on
Alpinobombus.local

I also tried to build Emacs 22.3 on this iBook a while ago and it
ended with the following error:
ld: /usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3/libgcc.a(_fixunssfdi.o) illegal reference
to symbol: ___cmpdi2 defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib

So now I'm trying Emacs from CVS:

./configure --with-ns
make bootstrap

This is where it ends:

In file included from nsterm.m:49:
keyboard.h:324: warning: redefinition of `Boolean'
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/../Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacTypes.h:255:
warning: `Boolean' previously declared here
nsterm.m: In function `ns_term_init':
nsterm.m:3864: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
nsterm.m:3875: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
nsterm.m:3886: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
nsterm.m: In function `-[EmacsView keyDown:]':
nsterm.m:4340: warning: multiple declarations for method `initWithCapacity:'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSArray.h:108:
warning: using `-(id)initWithCapacity:(unsigned)numItems'
nsterm.h:315: warning: also found `-initWithCapacity:(unsigned long)c'
gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/Users/alex/Source/emacs/src
-Dtemacs    -g -O2  nsfns.m
In file included from nsfns.m:36:
keyboard.h:324: warning: redefinition of `Boolean'
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/../Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/MacTypes.h:255:
warning: `Boolean' previously declared here
nsfns.m: In function `interpret_services_menu':
nsfns.m:293: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
nsfns.m: In function `ns_do_applescript':
nsfns.m:2042: error: `typeUTF16ExternalRepresentation' undeclared
(first use in this function)
nsfns.m:2042: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
nsfns.m:2042: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [nsfns.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2