Subject: RE: bug#11506: bug: "C-x z" ("repeat") no longer works correctly with M-x

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 06:31:32 -0700

> > FWIW, Icicles does just that.  It defines a multi-command 
> > version of `e-e-c'
> 
> But I strongly suspects that it suffers from the same problem 
> w.r.t C-x z.

I saw two problems mentioned here:

M-x pwd RET C-x z z z ...

M-x dired-other-window foobar RET C-x z toto
    RET z titi RET z ...

The first is not a problem in Icicles.

The problem reported for the second was that when repeating the last command
entered, if that command prompted for input then when repeated it should prompt
again but doesn't.

In Icicles, the `dired-other-window' example has the same problem: there is no
prompt for repetitions - the same dir is used repeatedly.

But if the command-name typed is instead `icicle-dired-other-window' then you
are prompted each time you hit `z' (with `default-directory' from the current
dir, i.e., the last Dired buffer created).  The difference here is that
`i-d-o-w' does the prompting in the command body - the command has no arguments.

It works if you just hit `RET' at each such prompt from `z' for a directory.
However, if you type a different dir name at the prompt, then that breaks the
repeating.  I guess this is because the minibuffer editing is taken as using a
different command.

So you are correct that `icicle-execute-extended-command' does not play with
`repeat' quite the same way as the C command `execute-extended-command'.