Subject: Re: bug#11490: vc-next-action overwrites changes in non-checked-out RCS file

From: Jonathan Kamens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:38:02 -0400

On 05/17/2012 08:45 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Well, ok, but your initial report began:
>
>    Make an RCS file writable with chmod +w without locking it.
>
> If I instead use M-x toggle-read-only, make changes, and use C-x v v,
> then I see the problem.
Yeah, well, you can never trust users to be accurate in bug reports. :-(
Sorry about that.

Seriously, I've encountered this problem twice on two different
computers recently, and the other time it happened might have been under
Cygwin on Windows, where permissions are screwy.
> OK. It looks like that variable only affects RCS and SCCS?
> In which case I am guessing that few people will care if the default
> changes, so maybe we should just do that...
I'm obviously not in any position of authority here, but as for my
personal opinion, I would have no objection whatsoever to making
vc-mistrust-permissions default to true for safety's sake. Might also
want to put a warning in the documentation of the variable about what
might happen if you set it to false and then use vc-next-action on a
file with non-checked-out changes.

  Jon