Subject: Problem with translation of coreutils 8.17

From: Primoz PETERLIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:57:07 +0200

Hello,

Coreutils 8.17 introduced a small change in the message catalogue
which causes considerable problems to translators.

The part which causes problems is:

#: src/fmt.c:285
#, c-format
msgid ""
"  -t, --tagged-paragraph    indentation of first line different from second\n"
"  -u, --uniform-spacing     one space between words, two after sentences\n"
"  -w, --width=WIDTH         maximum line width (default of 75 columns)\n"
"  -g, --goal=WIDTH          goal width (default of 93% of width)\n"
msgstr ""

Apparently, msgfmt interprets "% o" in the help text of the --goal
option as a format specifier. This means that the translations will be
rejected unless the translation also contains the same sequence: %
being followed by a space, being followed by a small o.

All the best,
Primož