Subject: 24.0.96; Keep `M-s' as a prefix key for search (conflict with Gnus)

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:05:19 -0700

An Icicles user just brought to my attention the fact that Gnus binds
`M-s' to a command (`gnus-summary-search-article-forward', IIUC).
 
This conflicts with a default Icicles setting, but that's no big deal
because it is easy for users to customize this.  By default, Icicles
uses `M-s M-s' as a prefix key for Icicles search.
 
My understanding was that `M-s' is now pretty much reserved as a prefix
key for search.  For example: `M-s w' and the Dired search keys, which
all use prefix key `M-s f'.  My thinking for defining `M-s M-s' as an
Icicles search prefix key was (a) `M-s' is a prefix key for Emacs search
generally, and (b) I did not find any conflicts for `M-s M-s' on the
`M-s' prefix key.
 
But if Gnus binds `M-s' to a command, that conflicts with the general
use of `M-s' as a prefix key (for search).  That is the bug: Gnus should
not bind `M-s' to a command.  `M-s' should remain a prefix key (for
search).
 
Presumably, in the context where `M-s' is bound to a Gnus command it is
unavailable for use by Isearch etc.  Even for Gnus users of vanilla
Emacs, I would think that this would be a loss.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.96.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-04-28 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'