Subject: bug#11482: 24.0.96; Keep `M-s' as a prefix key for search (conflict with Gnus)

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 00:03:43 -0800 (PST)

> > I had suggested to Lars to change the Gnuish binding, but he
> > didn't want to.

And AFAICT, Lars never even gave a reason, let alone a good reason.

> Well, icicles is a third-party library, so I think it's icicle's
> responsibility to not step on major mode bindings.  So I don't think
> there's anything here to be fixed in Emacs, and I'm closing this bug
> report.

It is you, Lars, who stepped on existing keybindings (first Isearch
and then Icicles).  Icicles has lots of keys bound on the prefix
key M-s M-s, and has had for a long time before you decided to
appropriate it (when it was pointed out that M-s is for Isearch).
The Gnus binding for M-s M-s is not even a prefix key.  Who's
hogging keys, here?

M-s M-s makes sense as a prefix key.  For a single command there
is no need for a quick double key like that, but there is for a
prefix to another key.  If Gnus, like Icicles, had many keys that
it wanted to put on prefix M-s M-s then you might have an argument,
at least, but that's not even the case.

Icicle mode is a global minor mode.  If Gnus is stubborn about
keeping M-s M-s for its single command then an Icicles user of
Gnus can always customize the prefix key used for the Icicles
search commands.  Or s?he can toggle Icicle mode off.  S?he
shouldn't have to do either, but so be it.

As I said before:

  I mention it as an existing conflict and suddenly it's a
  proposal for Gnus?

  So now you want to completely appropriate the key I complained
  about Gnus conflicting with, creating even more conflicts for
  Icicles?  Gee, thanks.

First, Gnus tried to appropriate M-s from Isearch.  When that
grab was exposed, Gnus appropriated M-s M-s, which is a prefix
key for Icicles, even though that too was pointed out.

Gee, thanks, indeed.  You're not very cooperative, Mr Ingebrigtsen.