Subject: bug#11482: 24.0.96; Keep `M-s' as a prefix key for search (conflict with Gnus)

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:16:53 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> What are Icicles searches used for?  That is, is it likely that a user
> would issue that command in the Gnus summary buffer?

Not being able to perform Icicle search was not the problem, it is a
problem the other way round: Icicles' binding is a minor mode binding,
thus shadowing the Gnus M-s binding, which is really important.  That's
the problem.  Without a keybinding, it is also harder to find, e.g. with
C-h b etc.  I had suggested to Lars to change the Gnuish binding, but he
didn't want to.

That Gnus shadows the global M-s binding is another issue.  But since
Gnus replaces it with a search command suitable for searching articles,
it's IMHO not really a problem.  AFAIK, only the summary buffer is
affected by the M-s binding, and there, "normal" searching is rarely
needed.

The clash of M-s prefix with Icicles' search binding is a third issue.
But I guess we have to live with that.

Regards,

Michael.