Subject: bug#11479: closed (Re: bug#11479: man page / info page)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 18:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11479: man page / info page

which was filed against the libtool package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11479: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11479
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11479: man page / info page
From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 21:38:44 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thank you for offering to help with libtool documentation. Currently,
a standard man page and info page are part of each libtool release. If
there is no man page or info page present in Debian, please report a bug
to bugs.debian.org [1], and ask for the documentation from the release
tarball to be included in Debian's GNU/Libtool version.

[1] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354

Subject: man page / info page
From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 10:39:57 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

BUG SEVERITY: enhancement

ENVIRONMENT: debian testing ('wheezy')

OFFER TO HELP: I offer to fix this 'bug'.

DESCRIPTION: The man page lacks the standard formatting, which makes
it suprisingly frustrating and difficult to browse.

DETAILS: There is no info page for this, at least not in debian, so
the man page is the only available documentation. When I went to the
compressed source file for the man page, it included a header warning
all comers not to mess with the file, because it had been autogen'ed
by help2man. That warning seems suspicious in light of the official
description of package help2man in debian, "Program to create simple
man pages from the --help and --version output of other programs.
Since most GNU documentation is now in info format, this provides a
way to generate a placeholder man page pointing to that resource while
still providing some useful information."

Anyway, if you want someone to format the page, drop me a line...