Subject: Re: bug#11474: Patch for Emacsclient --eval bug

From: Scott Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:34:13 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Silently dropping arguments is not very polite, so I'm not really happy
> with your solution.
>

I think as long as it is documented that the alternate_editor is not passed
the arguments intended for Emacs, that behavior is not terrible.

> I think the "right" behavior would be to call the alternate editor while
> preserving most arguments; IOW the right fix
> in this case would be to add a "--eval" argument, so that your
> alternate_editor can decide whether to drop args when it gets an "--eval"
> or to prepend all other args with a "--eval=" (or do whatever else it
> fancies).
>

On a practical level, I doubt the alternate_editor is going to be prepared
to deal with Emacs flags, so that's not terribly useful.

Maybe the best solution would be to have something like
"--alternate-editor-arguments" so that the user can specifically provide
the arguments to use with the alternate editor?