Subject: bug#11474: 24.1.50; eval a command does the wrong thing with emacsclientw.exe

From: Jason Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:27:01 +1000

When launching a emacs from the command line, in windows, using the
emacsclientw.exe it seems to use the argument to --eval as the file name
if emacs server is not already running.

steps to reproduce:

1. close all instances of emacs that are running.
2. from command line, run   emacsclientw.exe -a runemacs -c --eval
"(full-calc)"

the result of this will be a buffer open to /some/path/(full-calc). i
expect it should have opened calc rather than a buffer called full-calc.

3. close emacs again
4. launch emacs with runemacs.exe
5. from the command line run   emacsclientw.exe -a runemacs -c --eval "(full-calc)"
6. observe that calc opened in a new frame as expected

let me know if you need any more info

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 108006 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENA
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-6.6.1/color-theme.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-6.6.1/color-theme-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-complexity-0.1.1/color-theme-complexity-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-emacs-revert-theme-0.1/color-theme-emacs-revert-theme-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-solarized-1.0.0/color-theme-solarized-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-twilight-0.1/color-theme-twilight-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-vim-insert-mode-0.1/color-theme-vim-insert-mode-pkg.el' newer than byte-compiled file
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-xoxo hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-xoxo
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-wl hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-wl
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-w3m hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-vm hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-vm
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-timer hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-taskjuggler hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-table hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-src hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-special-blocks hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-rmail hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-remember hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-remember
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-publish hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-publish
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-protocol hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-plot hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-pcomplete hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-odt hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-odt
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mouse hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mobile hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mks hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mks
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mhe hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mew hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mew
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-macs hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-mac-message hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-mac-message
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-lparse hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-lparse
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-list hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-latex hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-latex
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-jsinfo hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-irc hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-inlinetask hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-info hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-indent hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-id hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-icalendar hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-icalendar
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-html hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-html
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-habit hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-gnus hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-freemind hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-freemind
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-footnote hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-feed hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-faces hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-exp hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-exp
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-exp-blocks hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-eshell hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-entities hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-docview hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-docbook hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-docbook
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-datetree hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-ctags hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-crypt hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-compat hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-colview hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-clock hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-capture hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-bibtex hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-beamer hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-beamer
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-bbdb hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-attach hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-ascii hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-ascii
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-archive hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/org-agenda hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-tangle hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-table hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-sqlite hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-sql hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-shen hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-sh hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sh
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-screen hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-scheme hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-sass hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-ruby hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-ref hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-R hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-python hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-plantuml hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-picolisp hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-perl hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-org hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-octave hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-ocaml hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-mscgen hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-maxima hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-matlab hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-lob hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-lisp hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-lilypond hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-ledger hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-latex hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-keys hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-js hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-java hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-haskell hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-gnuplot hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-fortran hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-exp hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-eval hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-emacs-lisp hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-dot hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-ditaa hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-css hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-comint hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-clojure hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-calc hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-C hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-awk hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
c:/Users/jason/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20120510/ob-asymptote hides c:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils eldoc elisp-slime-nav etags
paredit hl-line saveplace idle-highlight-mode thingatpt dired-single
winner color-theme wid-edit color-theme-blackboard server cygwin-mount
ange-ftp comint ansi-color epa-file epa derived epg epg-config
magit-bisect magit-key-mode assoc magit diff-mode log-edit easy-mmode
ring pcvs-util add-log auctex-autoloads tex-site auto-complete-autoloads
color-theme-active-autoloads color-theme-actress-autoloads
color-theme-blackboard-autoloads
color-theme-colorful-obsolescence-autoloads
color-theme-complexity-autoloads color-theme-dg-autoloads
color-theme-dpaste-autoloads color-theme-eclipse-autoloads
color-theme-emacs-revert-theme-autoloads color-theme-github-autoloads
color-theme-ir-black-autoloads color-theme-railscasts-autoloads
color-theme-sanityinc-solarized-autoloads
color-theme-solarized-autoloads color-theme-tango-autoloads
color-theme-tangotango-autoloads color-theme-twilight-autoloads
color-theme-vim-insert-mode-autoloads color-theme-wombat+-autoloads
color-theme-wombat-autoloads color-theme-zenburn-autoloads
color-theme-autoloads cygwin-mount-autoloads dired-single-autoloads
erc-hl-nicks-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads marmalade-autoloads
furl-autoloads mediawiki-autoloads oddmuse-autoloads org-autoloads info
easymenu php-mode-autoloads scpaste-autoloads finder-inf
session-autoloads starter-kit-bindings-autoloads windmove
starter-kit-eshell-autoloads starter-kit-js-autoloads
starter-kit-lisp-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
starter-kit-ruby-autoloads starter-kit-autoloads edmacro kmacro smex
starter-kit-misc ido-ubiquitous cl ido paren starter-kit-defuns uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload magit-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads
smex-autoloads find-file-in-project-autoloads
idle-highlight-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads
tuareg-autoloads caml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package
tabulated-list time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)