Subject: Re: bug#11453: `ls` in coreutils-8.17 incorrectly shows broken symlinks in /

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 06:43:53 -0600

On 05/12/2012 08:27 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:

> Subject: [PATCH] ls: color each symlink-to-relative-name in / properly
> 
> In order for ls --color to color each symlink, it must form the name
> of each referent and then stat it to see if the link is dangling, to
> a directory, to a file, etc.  When the symlink is to a relative name,
> ls must concatenate the starting directory name and that relative name.
> When, in addition, the starting directory was "/" or "/some-name",
> the result was ill-formed, and the subsequent stat would usually fail,
> making the caller color it as a dangling symlink.

Ooh, sounds like I'd better check that cygwin properly handles symlinks
relative to / vs. // (although cygwin doesn't permit the creation of
symlinks in // proper, as that directory is a read-only representation
of other networked machines accessible at the moment).

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org