Subject: bug#11451: guile-2.0.5, guile-tools does not honor --program-suffix=

From: Cyprien Nicolas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:14:58 +0200

Hello guilers,

I'm working on provinding guile-2.0 in Gentoo. We choose to provide both
guile-1.8 and guile-2.0, as some programs have not been ported to
guile-2.0 (and some seems to have dead upstream).

In order to have both versions installed in /usr at the same
time, I make use of --program-suffix=-${MAJOR} during configure (MAJOR
being either 1.8 or 2.0). We provide a script that create symlinks for
guile binaries targeting either 1.8 or 2.0, update environment
(GUILE_LOAD_PATH), and even a symlink for the manpage.
This almost work out of the box, except for guile.m4, which is renamed
to guile-${MAJOR}.m4 at install time, and a symlink is handled by the
above script.

Two days ago, I tried to bump our guile ebuild from 2.0.1 to 2.0.5,
and I notice that guile-tools was renamed to guild. Well, this is not an
issue, I just have to update the above cited script to make the right links.

My issue is that the build system provides a symlink 'guile-tools' which
points to guild-2.0. And that symlink does not respect
--program-suffix=, thus our package manager complains about guile-tools
already existing in the installation directory.

I see two possibilities from here :
- make that symlink honoring --program-suffix;
- add a build option to tell the configure script that I don't want that
symlink (it will be created by our script).

Thanks

-- 
,Cyprien