Subject: Re: bug#11445: 24.0.96; Customize buffer edit fields should have undo

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:25:38 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Question is whether it's even well defined to do this differently.
>
> It's not that every text field has its own undo.  Undo stops at points
> when widgets changed because undoing further would undo changes
> involving widgets, which ones are there, how they look like, etc.  Since
> using widgets has side effects (like setting variables or saving) just
> undoing anything would potentially lead to an inconsistent state.
>
> How would you address this problem?

Not all actions in a custom buffer can be undone (with the normal Emacs
undo functionality), but it seems quiet unexpected that deleting a
character in the text field of the buffer with the normal editing
commands can't be undone.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no