Subject: Re: bug#11444: 23.3; smtpmail / lotus server

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 21:10:06 +0200

[email-masked] (Jason L. Wright) writes:

> Using smtpmail to send mail: M-x compose-email ... type type type,
> ^C^C, and the result back from the SMTP server is "500 Syntax error" when
> using smtpmail talking to a Lotus (boo hiss!) server.  SMTP trace is
> below.  I watched it with tcpdump and smtpmail is -not- doing anything
> wrong (RFC-wise).  But the stupid server gets bent out of shape if the
> \r\n's for the DATA command are sent in different packets.

[...]

> To (note the concat in process-send-string):

Amusing bug.  :-)

I've applied your fix to the Emacs 24 branch.  While not strictly
speaking a regression (since smtpmail.el has always done this),
smtpmail.el is going to get a lot more usage with Emacs 24.1, so I think
this minor change is warranted.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/