Subject: Re: bug#11442: dbus uses Emacs integer as pointer, possible core dump

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 17:35:49 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

> The trunk version of Emacs src/dbusbind.c contains a function
> xd_get_connection_address that does this:
>
>     connection = (DBusConnection *) (intptr_t) XFASTINT (val);
>
> This converts an Emacs integer to a pointer without checking
> that it is actually of the proper C type.  It is possible
> for Lisp code to mistakenly put an integer there that will
> cause Emacs to dump core.

In general, I agree with you. In the given case, it is just a pointer
address which has been written in Fdbus_init_bus. No other place is
expected to write such an address, but since it is a Lisp object,
somebody could do by mistake.

>  Shouldn't this be made safe, so that Lisp code can't do that?  For
> example, a DbusConnection * could be made a proper Lisp pseudovector
> or misc type or something like that.  The idea is to avoid a bad
> pointer leaking into the C code.

DbusConnection * is included by <dbus/dbus.h>; we cannot make it a
private type. But if there is something we could add as "glue type",
please do. I'm not so familar with Emacs' internal type armors.

Best regards, Michael.