Subject: bug#11419: Get rid of ylwrap, and simplify yacc/lex rules: withdrawn this wishlist entry

From: Akim Demaille <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:16:37 +0100

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Stefano Lattarini
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> tags 11419 wontfix
> close 11419
> thanks
>
> Reference:
> <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11419>
>
> The improvements to the ylwrap script contributed by Akim in the 1.12.x
> and 1.13 releases have fixed most of the issues or bugs this proposal
> intended to address; even better, they did so in a completely transparent
> and backward-compatible way.
>
> While this proposal could theoretically still provide some enhancement
> in corner cases, those would be very marginal gains, and since I don't
> like the gratuitous proliferation of options and dubious knobs, I'm
> retiring this wishlist entry for now.

Not quite actually.  Currently Automake invoke Bison as yacc, i.e., it
passes the flag -y, --yacc.  This flag is expected to trigger all sorts of
warnings if you use features that are not supported by POSIX Yacc.

Because Bison is frequently invoked with -y but people do use Bison
features in their grammar, I cannot have --yacc properly do its job:
non-Yaccisms are not diagnosed to the user.

I would really like to see -y stop being used so that differences with
Yacc itself can be reported.

Cheers!