Subject: Get rid of ylwrap, and simplify yacc/lex rules (was: Re: FYI: maint: fix the generation of the synclines for bison's parser)

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 12:38:09 +0200

Severity: wishlist

[Adding bug-automake in CC:]

Hi Akim.

On 05/06/2012 11:20 AM, Akim Demaille wrote:
> This is taken from master.  I work with a VPATH build, and the
> generated synclines are very wrong.  Probably something that
> ylwrap should handle better btw.
>
Or maybe we could get rid of ylwrap and assume yacc/lex support the
'-o' option.  After all:

  - the yacc- and lex-generated files are automatically distributed,
    so only the maintainers should be expected to regenerate them;

  - the sytem yacc on OpenBSD and NetBSD (not surre yet about FreeBSD,
    will check) support the '-o' option as well; and their lex too,
    since its flex

  - supporting proprietary yacc and lex should be low-priority IMHO.

Might this be something to consider for Automake 1.13?

Regards,
  Stefano