Subject: 24.0.96; Emacs crashes when ViewMail downloads IMAP messages

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 12:17:10 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Sorry, I can't give a recipe, but this happens about twice a day
since I use prerelease 24.0.96. The situation is always the same:
I open a VM folder (VM = ViewMail), or I refresh an already opened
one. VM starts downloading messages from my IMAP server, annoucing
its progress in the minibuffer. And then Emacs crashes before VM
as finished downloading and displaying the new messages.

As an attachment I send the log file produces by Apple's CrashReporter
in MacOS X.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Users/hinsen/Applications/Emacs-24.0.96.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.96.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-04-30 on Konrad-Hinsens-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  org-indent-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  whitespace-newline-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<C-268632070> <help-echo> q M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o <tab> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-2>

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/hinsen/.emacs24.d/config/tex.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/hinsen/.emacs24.d/config/user-interface.el (source)...
Loading /Users/hinsen/.recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Loading /Users/hinsen/.emacs24.d/config/user-interface.el (source)...done
Loading /Users/hinsen/.emacs24.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading vc-hg...done
OVERVIEW [5 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs24.d/lisp/org-vm hides /Users/hinsen/Applications/Emacs-24.0.96.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-vm
~/.emacs24.d/lisp/org-eshell hides /Users/hinsen/Applications/Emacs-24.0.96.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar
vm-virtual vm-summary-faces vm-mouse vm-page pp vm emacsbug message
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils org-colview
solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso
vc-hg autorevert disp-table org-indent server recentf tree-widget
paren uniquify ido windmove french-holidays org-crypt org-w3m
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func
org-agenda org-info org-eshell org-docview org-bibtex bibtex ob-ditaa
ob-clojure ob-haskell ob-js ob-python ob-ruby ob-perl ob-R ob-sh shell
ace-jump-mode magithub json url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source
eieio gnus-util password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr mailcap
magit diff-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-key-mode monky
help-mode view dired+ dired-x ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind
ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired-aux undo-tree
yasnippet assoc julia-mode gnuplot info-look bbdb-vm vm-mime vm-undo
vm-message vm-macro bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822 bbdb-com mailabbrev
bbdb-autoloads bbdb org-vm org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities
org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs advice advice-preload vm-reply vm-motion vm-summary
vm-folder vm-minibuf vm-misc vm-pcrisis vm-autoloads vm-version
vm-vars paredit edmacro kmacro em-smart ring esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc help-fns esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode esh-util find-dired dired regexp-opt color-theme wid-edit
w3m-load browse-url auctex-autoloads tex-site
clojure-test-mode-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
color-theme-actress-autoloads color-theme-zenburn-autoloads
color-theme-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads ipython-autoloads
magithub-autoloads finder-inf magit-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
marmalade-autoloads furl-autoloads monky-autoloads info
oauth2-autoloads paredit-autoloads python-mode-autoloads
python-pep8-autoloads python-pylint-autoloads slime-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package tabulated-list timezone whitespace cl
filesets easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind ns
multi-tty emacs)