Subject: Re: bug#11400: 24.0.95; `url-copy-file' doesn't respect the umask

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:32:10 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, you could put it that way, or you could say that by default it
> creates private copies. Isn't this standard practice for many
> applications that download things?

It's standard for certain applications (like mail readers) to enforce a
separate umask, which is what Gnus does via `mm-save-part-to-file'.
However:

> url-copy-file uses mm-save-part-to-file, which sets file modes according
> to mm-attachment-file-modes. For world-readable, set that to 420.
> There is no setting that means "don't change the mode bits"; maybe there
> should be.

As Stefan points out, it's a bug for the url library to use this rather
high-level library to save stuff.  And the url library has no reason not
to heed the umask.

Anyway, this isn't a Gnus bug, so I'm reassigning it back to Emacs.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen