Subject: bug#11392: closed (Re: bug#11397: 24.1.50; permanent-local after-change-functions + read-passwd == unusable minibuffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:29:03 +0000

Your bug report

#11397: 24.1.50; Sometimes after entering a password in the minibuffer, all minibuffer input thereafter is dots (like a hidden password)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11397: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11397
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11397: 24.1.50; permanent-local after-change-functions + read-passwd == unusable minibuffer
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:28:35 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I believe I've just installed a fix for it a couple hours ago.

Subject: 24.1.50; Sometimes after entering a password in the minibuffer, all minibuffer input thereafter is dots (like a hidden password)
From: Brian Zwahr <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 08:33:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As the subject says, sometimes after I enter a password (example: Gnus
asks for password to open the authinfo.gpg file), all minibuffer input
from there on looks like a password, meaning its all dots so I can't see
what I'm typing.

I also use ido and smex. Interestingly enough, if I do something like
C-h f to lookup a function, then what I type is dots, but the
completion suggestions are not. For example:

(in the minibuffer, keeping in mind I've shorted the list between the {})
Describe function: ...........(-s-bug){,-hook,-info}

The only way I've found to restore normal functionality is to quit and
restart emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin11.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1138.32)
 of 2012-04-25 on bloc-bzwahr-lap.tamu.edu
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD' '--without-dbus'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs' '--with-ns'
 '--disable-ns-self-contained' 'CC=/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-Os -w -pipe
 -march=native -Qunused-arguments''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Quit [2 times]
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Auto-saving...done
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:80
Reporting new bug! [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bzwahr/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120421/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/emms/tq hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/elpa/zf-mode-20120419/tests/ert/ert hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/elpa/zf-mode-20120419/tests/ert/ert-x hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x

Features:
(shadow url-cache url-http url-gw url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars emacsbug sendmail shr-color color shr browse-url
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg sort gnus-ml
gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 epa-file epa derived epg
network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-cache
gnus-sum gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils perspective newcomment nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct find-dired grep term disp-table ehelp electric multi-isearch
dabbrev autorevert compile wrap-region hideshowvis easy-mmode
company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-xcode company-semantic semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/ctxt semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet company-eclim company-css company-nxml
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok company-elisp help-mode view company-etags
company camelCase php-electric vc-dispatcher vc-svn tramp-cache tramp
tramp-compat auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache shell pcomplete comint ansi-color format-spec
tramp-loaddefs time-stamp vc-git pp cus-edit wid-edit paredit
solarized-dark-theme solarized-definitions byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp window-number gnus-notify emms-cache
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat zf-mode zf-mode-extras zf-lineup
zf-font-lock php-test php-tags etags php-string php-refactor php-help
php-edit php-format php-structure zf-utils hideshow php-doc php-project
dired php-funcs thingatpt php-parse string-utils php-const
php-completion cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl my-funcs evil
evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands evil-types evil-digraphs
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common undo-tree windmove rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro icomplete
ido color-theme-solarized-autoloads company-autoloads ctags-autoloads
emacs-setup-autoloads evil-autoloads evil-leader-autoloads
fill-column-indicator-autoloads geben-autoloads hideshowvis-autoloads
javascript-autoloads magit-autoloads multi-term-autoloads
mysql2sqlite-autoloads paredit-autoloads perspective-autoloads
smex-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads window-number-autoloads
wrap-region-autoloads zf-mode-autoloads package tabulated-list paren
uniquify advice advice-preload winner ring avoid cus-start cus-load
emacs-setup-keys emacs-setup-layout emacs-setup-require emacs-setup-util
help-fns emacs-setup time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)