Subject: 24.1.50; ansi-term issues after full "page" of display

From: Brian Zwahr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 16:00:25 -0500

When using ansi-term, after I have reached a full "page" or buffer of
display, meaning once the output starts scrolling of the top of the
screen, a couple of issues occur.

First, sometimes (most of the time, but not all), the cursor will be at
the beginning of the line where the prompt is, as opposed to at the end
of the line (after the prompt, where it should be).

Second, every character I type causes the text in the buffer to "jump",
as if a new line is placed at the bottom of the buffer, then taken away
immediately. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

This happens every time I use ansi-term. I can sort of work around it be
clearing the screen with Ctrl-L, either before or after the issue
occurs. However, this only "fixes" the issue until I have used the
terminal enough to go through a page full of output again.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.2 (i386-apple-darwin11.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1138.32)
 of 2012-05-02 on bloc-bzwahr-lap.tamu.edu
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD' '--without-dbus'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs' '--with-ns'
 '--disable-ns-self-contained' 'CC=/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-Os -w -pipe
 -march=native -Qunused-arguments''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> n M-x a s d f C-g <return> <return> b <backspace> 
B <backspace> y e s <return> n B <backspace> y e s 
<return> n n B <backspace> y e s <return> n B <backspace> 
y e s <return> j C-g n B <backspace> y e s <return> 
n B <backspace> y e s <return> n B <backspace> y e 
s <return> n B <backspace> y e s <return> q M-x e m 
a c s - <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o r t - e m <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Quit
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done
Expiring articles in nnimap+tamu:INBOX...done
Expiring articles in INBOX...done

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bzwahr/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120421/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/emms/tq hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/elpa/zf-mode-20120419/tests/ert/ert hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert
/Users/bzwahr/Dropbox/emacs/elpa/zf-mode-20120419/tests/ert/ert-x hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail flow-fill smiley ansi-color gnus-cite qp
mule-util shr-color color shr browse-url mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
sort gnus-ml gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 time-stamp epa-file
epa derived epg gnutls network-stream auth-source eieio starttls nnimap
parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-demon nntp
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message idna format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit term
disp-table ehelp electric paredit solarized-dark-theme
solarized-definitions byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp window-number gnus-notify emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file locate emms-setup emms emms-compat zf-mode
zf-mode-extras zf-lineup zf-font-lock php-test php-tags etags php-string
php-refactor php-help php-edit php-format php-structure zf-utils
hideshow php-doc php-project dired php-funcs thingatpt php-parse
string-utils php-const php-completion cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
cl my-funcs evil evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands evil-types
evil-digraphs evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states
evil-core evil-common undo-tree windmove rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro
icomplete ido color-theme-solarized-autoloads company-autoloads
ctags-autoloads emacs-setup-autoloads evil-autoloads
evil-leader-autoloads fill-column-indicator-autoloads geben-autoloads
hideshowvis-autoloads javascript-autoloads magit-autoloads
multi-term-autoloads mysql2sqlite-autoloads paredit-autoloads
perspective-autoloads smex-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads
window-number-autoloads wrap-region-autoloads zf-mode-autoloads package
tabulated-list paren uniquify advice advice-preload winner ring avoid
cus-start cus-load emacs-setup-keys emacs-setup-layout
emacs-setup-require emacs-setup-util help-fns emacs-setup time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)